Friday, January 1, 2010

And the year is 2010

Long, long ago - maybe 44 or 45 years ago, I remember being at my grandpa (John) McLean's home in Modesto, California. This is Dan's grandpa and mine by marriage and love. I met him in his golden years. He had been married 51 years to his sweetheart Nola. They did everything together. They loved to watch TV, especially game shows. They played Yahtzee with his sister, Zora and they also loved to fish together. Fishing was the only time I saw Grandma in pants.

The day was January 1st. I was just "hanging out" with my future husband and his grandparents. I remember we were watching TV, maybe the Rose Parade or one of those game shows. As we were watching, Grandpa took a piece of paper and wrote the date of the new year. He said something like, " This is the first time I've written THIS YEAR." He made it seem very important.

This morning I wrote the date January 1, 2010, on a check and realized it was the first time I had done it and I said to Dan, "This is the first time I've written 2010." It reminded me of Grandpa McLean. It seemed important to me also. It is now Twenty Ten.

For me, it seems like a strange date to write and say. This date is suppose to be in the future, not here and now. But, change is constant, it's always around us. A new year, a new way to say the date, lots of change is in the wind. This is going to be a good year, a great year. Happy Twenty Ten.



5 comments:

  1. that's so cute mom. i've been writing twenty ten for about six months now being that one of my jobs started the new fiscal year in july. i thought it was weird back then. have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited not to have to say two thousand anymore! I'm sure I won't be around when it's three thousand, so twenty works just fine! I still haven't written the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool!! I love the name Zora!! Good thing I didn't hear that name before I had Hattie - or her name might have been Zora!! Way cool!!!

    Happy twenty ten!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does seem amazing that it's 2010 to me - I have the feeling I'll be writing 2009 for a while! Tim and I were just talking about how it's almost been a decade since we met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay and I love the names Nola and Zora. I had heard Nola before and thought it was way cute but Zora is even awesomer. I wrote 2010 for the first time today and it felt weird!

    ReplyDelete