Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day - 2010



It's mother's day again. How did this happen, so soon. In a short 43 years I have become the mother to seven children and 16 wonderful grandchildren. I made our first child's school wardrobe including a blue winter coat (I loved that coat) which got her teased because it was blue and she was a girl. They all had home cut hair when young. They grew up eating homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, and reconstituted milk. They had dishes to wash , even when working till 11 p.m. at night. I was a mean mom. We have had a few broken bones, but lots and lots of smiles, too. One winter in cold Iowa, Dad and I made doughnuts on Saturday mornings. We all loved that. My mother once asked me "why do you have them do work at home." you see I didn't have any chores when growing up at home. I replied, "to keep the home going." But, we did have fun also. They loved playing in "the pits", a wooded lot in the neighborhood. They loved being pushed on a swing. We all loved eating cinnamon rolls hot out of the oven on a cold winter day or any day. And especially a homemade birthday cake each year. Thank you KIDS for making me a mother. I love each one of you.


I started celebrating mothers day last week. The girls were home plus Michael's wife. We had so much fun eating, talking and goofing off. Today we had a little cake to celebrate. It was chocolate with chocolate frosting. So good! We even received chocolate truffles in church. A great day. This afternoon I plan to do a little sewing, reading, and relaxing.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day mom!! I love you!! Thank you for being such a good example for me and my fmaily!! I got all my GOOD traits from you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, and you got all your bad traits from your Dad? In retrospect, at least I gave you some traits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's day Mom. I love you so much. You were the best Mom out there taking care of us so well. I'm sorry I didn't call today, I'm sick. But I thought of you and all you did for all of us growing up and still today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you had a facebook page you would see that Mike told you you are the best mom ever! I would have to agree! You are the best mom ever. I love you and I love everything you did for us while growning up and everything now that we're getting OLD. I love everything about you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful mother-in-law! I feel lucky to have 2 fantastic mothers in my life, and for Joshua to have 2 wonderful grandmas. Glad you had a great day - the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete