Monday, April 20, 2009

April Birthday Celebrations

Dan and I visited the Modesto McLean clan this weekend to celebrate birthdays. April is a BIG month for birthdays. It starts with Don (grandpa/great grandpa) at 89 years this year. That is marvelous. Followed by Dan and Jeri and Marti (a close May b-day). We celebrated with a large dinner and two birthday cakes, (and chocolate cookies). Yum. Happy Birthday everyone.
We stayed with Jeri and Mike who live on a farm. They have a picturesque scene from their patio. They look out over fields and orchards to the California coastal mountains. It is breath taking to someone who now lives in the desert. The land and trees were all so green. As we sat there Saturday night it was growing dark, we watched 2 owls perched upon a utility post. Then I noticed another large owl flapping its wings in a hugh tree nearby. Jeri and Mike listen to "Hoot-Hoot" in the nights. Doesn't this scene belong in a movie?
We left early Sunday morning and drove down highway 99, watching all the agricultural crops along the way and associated activities that were going on around us. The crops remind me of the corn and soybeans we would see in the midwest on our trips. We truly are blessed to live in a land of plenty.
I love to eat good fruit so much. We had fresh, ripe, red strawberries Saturday night. (You know I love the color red.) But this weekend, I truly wanted a big, juicy, golden peach from the central valley. But, peaches aren't ripe till late summer. They are sweet and the BEST. I'll keep you posted if I find any in Las Vegas this summer. In the past, I couldn't find good peaches in our grocery stores in the midwest.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a really fun weekend. I'm glad you & Dad were able to visit and stay at Jeri's house. Her place is just so nice - I loved staying there last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad you couldn't find a peach. Now you've got me wanting one! I'll have some applesauce to tide me over! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me jealous with the strawberries. They're so delicious!

    ReplyDelete